Just a couple of days ago we had this information that the upcoming Redsn0w will be getting the feature to downgrade the firmware of iPhone 4S, iPad 3 and iPad 2 without the need of iTunes. And today the dev team have come up to their promise and released the new version of Redsn0w 0.9.11b1. The Redsn0w 0.9.11b1 is now updated to allow those users of iPhone 4s, iPad 3 and iPad 2 to downgrade the firmware of their devices and that too without the need of iTunes.
The downgrade feature can be found in the option Extras->Even More->Restore. Note: to downgrade you must have SHSH Blob saved of the previous firmware you want to downgrade to. Without the blob you won’t be able to downgrade. The task of downgrading using Redsn0w 0.9.11b1 is done by a hack and not any bootrom-level exploit. Also the dev team has mentioned not to use this version of Redsn0w 0.9.11b1 until you want to use the downgrade feature. The version has got some bugs which soon will be removed. Check the details from Dev Team below.
Some important points:
- The new feature is at Extras->Even More->Restore
- You cannot downgrade without the personalized SHSH blobs for your device at that lower firmware. You need to have fetched those blobs while the signing window was open, using either Cydia’s built-in TSS@Home feature, or with TinyUmbrella. The new Restore screen of redsn0w lets you choose either the remote blobs or local ones (for the earlier firmware). If you don’t know where TinyUmbrella put your blobs, TinyUmbrella has a button that will show you (copy them out of that folder and feed them to redsn0w).
- The A5 downgrade method actually updates to the latest firmware before downgrading to the earlier one. This process updates your baseband to whatever is newest. DO NOT USE THIS METHOD IF YOU RELY ON UNOFFICIAL UNLOCKS of your iPhone4S. Those who used the temporary SAM technique to unlock their iPhones to specific SIMs shouldn’t be affected by this baseband update.
- This method can be fixed by Apple with a firmware update. It’s a (pleasant) mystery why they haven’t fixed it yet, because reverse-engineering of the restore ramdisk indicates they do know about it. It’s possibly too niche to bother to fix right now.
- The least-tested devices with this method are the iPad2,3 and iPad3,2 (because we don’t have those models). If you do and you feel like experimenting, please let us know how it turns out in the comment section below!
- This update involves a bunch of new redsn0w code. We recommend sticking to the previous version 0.9.10b8b unless you’re specifically using this new feature, until all the bugs are worked out! (Note: If redsn0w gets stuck at the “Waiting for device” stage for more than 30 seconds, you’ve hit a pesky GUI bug…that will be fixed in an upcoming version!)
So if you were waiting eagerly to downgrade you iPhone 4s, iPad 3 and iPad 2 to the previous version and enjoy a jailbreak then the wait is over. Go ahead and download the Redsn0w 0.9.11b1 to start your downgrade. Soon we will come up with the tutorial on How to Downgrade iPhone 4S, iPad 3 and iPad 2 to previous version. Till then stay tunes to GeekPrison.
- Redsn0w To Get Feature To Downgrade iPad (3rd Gen), iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and Restore Without iTunes
- Downgrade iOS 5.1 To iOS 5.0.1 On iPad 2 And iPhone 4S [Coming Soon]
- How To Downgrade iOS 5.0.1 / iOS 5.1 To iOS 5 Firmware Using iFaith [Tutorial]
- How To Downgrade iOS 5.1 To iOS 5.0.1, 4.3.3, 4.3.5 On iPhone, iPad, iPod touch [Tutorial]
- How To Downgrade iOS 5.0.1 To iOS 4.3.3 For iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad 2/1[Tutorial]