The Korean Giant Samsung has recently announced the release of the update Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich for the Samsung Galaxy S II GT I9100. While the announcement has been made still not all regions and devices have received this update and hence many users are not getting it over KIES. Also the ICS update is currently not available over OTA. But the developers at the XDA-Forum have already got hold of the Official Firmware and you can install it right now on your device.
The Galaxy S II users who have already installed Custom ROM’s or Beta firmwares will not be able to get this update through KIES as it will not recognize the device and also the given method is not applicable for I9100G Galaxy S2 smartphones. There is no need to Root your device as this update can be installed even on the Non Rooted devices.
1. You need to backup your device data and you cannot use KIES as it will not recognize your device after the update because it is a Custom Firmware.
As you do not have KIES you need to have third party Apps for backup, you can use the following for various needs :
- You can use SMS Backup And Restore to backup your text messages. Google Play Link
- For Contacts you can sync with the Gmail App. Google Play Link
- To Save Call Log you can use Call Logs Backup & Restore App. Google Play Link.
- For Images, Songs and Videos you can copy it to the SD Card.
All the above Apps are free to install from Google Play.
2. Your device should have at least 80 % charge so that it covers the entire installation time. The last thing that we would want is to be held up in between with no charge and also no ROM on your device.
3. You need to remove any security or antivirus software installed on your device to avoid it to stop the installation process.
4. USB Debugging should be enabled on your device. For more information on how to activate USB debugging on Android device click here.
Now that we have covered all the required steps to install Android 4.0.3 ICS on your Samsung Galaxy S II GT I9100 lets head to the tutorial :
Disclaimer : Proceed with the following steps at your own risk. There is a slight possibility of your device getting bricked if something goes wrong. The Android ICS 4.0.3 firmware is the Official Firmware which will be released via KIES shortly. If you are unsure to go ahead with the steps you can wait till the update becomes available officially via KIES. If you are on Custom ROM or Beta firmware than I suggest to perform the update now as your device cannot be connected to KIES.
How To Update Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 To Official Android 4.0.3 ICS :
Step 1 : Download the official Android ICS 4.0.3 package from here and extract it on your PC. This is the official Indian Firmware, to download the Official Android 4.0.3 ICS firmware for your country go the XDA Developer forum, here. The steps however remain the same while the ICS package download will be different.
Step 2 : From the extracted files launch the ODIN executable file in your computer and than switch off your device to make your device enter into Download Mode.
Step 3 : To enter into the Download Mode hold the Volume down Key, Center button simultaneously and than hold the Power Button and you will see the Green Android Robot logo which indicates that you have entered into the Download Mode.
You will be asked to press volume up if you want to continue or volume down to cancel, press volume up.
Step 4 : Once you have entered the Download Mode connect the device to the computer using the USB Cable and keep the ODIN executable file launched. You will notice the ID : COM section will turn Yellow.
Step 5 : In ODIN check PDA and click on it and select the file you had downloaded from Step 1 and than click on Start. Odin will now start your firmware update process.
This process will take some time so just be patient.
Step 6 : Now re insert the battery of your device to enter into Recovery Mode. To enter into Recovery Mode press Volume Up Key + OK button, and holding both simultaneously press the Power Button.
Step 6 : In the Recovery Mode select Wipe data/factory reset in ODIN and Wipe Cache partition and then reboot your device. You need to Reboot your device by selecting Reboot system with the help of Volume rocker keys.
That’s it, you have now now installed official Android 4.0.3 ICS for your Samsung Galaxy S II GT I9100. If you have any problem** do comment below so that we can sort it out.
**Note : If your ID : COM section doesn’t turn Yellow than you need to Install USB drivers for your device in your Computer and than go to “Settings > Wireless & Network > USB Settings” and ensure that “Samsung KIES” option is ticked . Also once you launch ODIN make sure that the KIES is completely closed. KIES sometimes interrupts ODIN and doest not like it.
For more information on how to root your Samsung Galaxy S II GT I9100 on Android 4.0.3 ICS click here.
- Samsung Galaxy S II getting Android 4.0 ICS update
- How To Root Samsung Galaxy S II On Android 4.0.3 ICS
- Samsung Galaxy S II Android 2.3.5 Official update Released
- Download Samsung Galaxy SL Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread update India
- Samsung Galaxy S II getting Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update on 1st March