Its almost certain that the fruit company will be launching the latest iteration of the iPad on 7th March and as usual rumor mills are working overtime claiming various facts about the iPad 3. One such rumor which has been doing rounds since many days is that will Apple be launching a smaller 8 inch mini version of the iPad.
The report comes from the very popular Wall Street Journal (WSJ) – an international English daily- claim that according to some officials at Apple’s suppliers the company is considering to launch a smaller mini iPad with 8 inch screen with the same resolution as that of the iPad 2 i.e 1024×768 to compete with other tablets like $200 7” Amazon Kindle Fire and the ASUS Transformer Prime.
Apple Inc. is working with component suppliers in Asia to test a new tablet computer with a smaller screen, people familiar with the situation said, as it looks to broaden its product pipeline amid intensifying competition and maintain its dominant market share.
With this latest report many are strongly predicting that the iPad mini which had been existing only as a rumor till now will finally become reality. However no matter how strong the rumors are but despite of this latest development it is still highly doubted that Apple will finally launch the 8 inch tablet. The WSJ have also mentioned in their report that the sources claim that Apple regularly discusses new designs with suppliers and may opt to not actually go ahead with this smaller iPad.
Why Should Apple Launch An 8 inch iPad :
Now lets be very honest in this case. It can be safely said that today tablet and iPad, these two words have almost become synonymous. Think of tablet and the first thing that will pop up in your mind is the awesome device which we know as iPad. The main question is not WILL Apple launch the 8 inch iPad but the actually it is WHY should it. Why create competition that too by its own product and that too in a field which it completely dominates.
While some of the main reasons for Apple to really go ahead with the iPad mini are :
- To compete with smaller Android Tablets and Amazon Kindle Fire.
- Gaming experience can improve vastly as it is easier to have controls on a smaller screen within the grasp of our hands.
- It can dominate in smaller tablets segment and hence would give Apple complete dominance in this field.
Now coming to the much more serious note and not getting way too much carried away by the other side lets see why Apple should not launch the iPad Mini :
- This will go against basic fundamental principal of Apple which has been to create one awesome device with all awesome features.
- Too many choices can confuse the consumers and enhance sales of other tablet devices.
- iPad Mini already exists and it is called iPod Touch.
- Simply put it…Steve Jobs wouldn’t want it.
Each and every huge tech company has a somewhat unique DNA which defines it. It defines its strength and qualities and shows how the company functions. Apple has always been praised the way it runs itself and keeps on producing mind blowing products. Samsung, Google and Microsoft have their own DNA which instructs them to launch numerous products in the same segment and to conquer whatever share of the market they can. While Apple believes in finely polished quality and putting up everything together to create a masterpiece.
If Apple does launch the iPad Mini this would be a huge deviation from its current strategy which has till now worked for them. Probably this would mark the end of the Steve Jobs era and the beginning of the Tim Cook’s. What do you think about it …. Do comment below.
- iPad 3 Production Begin And Set For March Launch
- Apple Seeds iOS 5.1 Beta 3, Apple Working On Siri Dictation For iPad
- Slightly Thicker iPad 3 In March, 4-inch Display For iPhone 5 And Thinner MacBook Pro Will Be Released Next Year [Report]
- Most Awaited Smartphone’s and Tablets of 2012
- Apple To Unveil iPad On First Week Of March