Well o well, looks who’s getting the gingerbread update, it’s none other than AT&T Samsung Captivate, the clone of Samsung Galaxy S, while it is late now but still it is getting the Android 2.3 Gingerbread update, while it may not seem to be much great news, but still it is great for AT&T Samsung Captivate owners who after dealing with sluggy froyo for a long time will get a chance to taste the gingerbread now.
Beside the usual gingerbread features this update also provides fixes for Gmail and YouTube, and the addition of Voice Search to search categories
Release Notes/Change Log of AT&T Samsung Captivate Android 2.3 Gingerbread update
Android Gingerbread Highlights
New User Features
2.Intuitive Text Input.
- New layout for larger fonts and easy inputs
- Word prediction. Multi-touch for numerical input (Shift + Numbers)
- One-touch Word Selection and Copy/Paste
1. Fixed Top-menu in Gmail.
2. Voice Search added into the search categories.
3. Vertical play mode added for YouTube.
New Developer Features
Enhancements for Game.
- 3D Graphic driver updates
- Additional Khronos standard such as OpenSL ES, EGL for better multimedia performance
- Concurrent Garbage Collector technology imbedded to reduce lags in playing games
Well this update is late, so it is still following the good old ways of updating a phone, i.e through PC using Samsung kies software, yes sammy cannot the provide the OTA update for this so we have to bear with them, but hey they provided us with a very nice and clean tutorial on how to update Samsung Captivate to android 2.3 using kies, for details check the link below
How Do I Update Samsung Captivate (SGH-i897) Phone to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) using Kies Mini on My Window’s PC?