Even ahead of the Galaxy Nexus release, Google has released Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Source Code and can be downloaded right now. Alongwith ICS Google has also seeded the 3 major releases of Honeycomb.
From the Google Blog :
This is actually the source code for version 4.0.1 of Android, which
is the specific version that will ship on the Galaxy Nexus, the first
Android 4.0 device. In the source tree, you will find a device build
target named “full_maguro” that you can use to build a system image
for Galaxy Nexus. Build configurations for other devices will come
What this means for Android users is that they will have AOSP roms sporting Android 4.0 very soon on their devices. While there are many custom ROMS for Gingerbread, the availablity of AOSP along with the official release of the ICS seems like an early Christmas gift.
If you are considering of flashing that SDK port on to your device than we suggest holding a bit longer. Google might just add an ICS flavor to it. However the sources of HoneyComb which is also released is not complete as Google has asked developers to focus more on the ICS.
To download the ICS Source Code click here.
- Download Google+ 2.0.0 APK With Ice Cream Sandwich Support
- Download Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Wallpapers
- Exclusive Specifications of Verizon Galaxy Nexus aka Nexus Prime Ice Cream Sandwich phone leaked
- How To Install Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich On Galaxy Nexus S [Tutorial]
- Download Samsung Galaxy Note Source Code