Recently after the iPhone 4S users updated their device to iOS 5.0.1, the device has failed to recognize contacts. The bug was reported by Paul Hontz from the The Startup Foundry.
The bug led the iPhone to not being able to recognize numbers and Contacts. Now suppose if you receive a message from a person already existing in your Contact list, the iPhone will show only the number and not the name of the contact.
Heres what Paul Hontz has to say :
I updated my iPhone 4S earlier today (using the OTA method), and I discovered a nasty bug. My iPhone could no longer remember the names of any of my contacts! I opened up the contacts app on my phone and discovered that all of entries were still there but if I got a text or a call my iPhone would have a sudden bout of amnesia and forget the contacts name.
The bug has only been detected on Verizon network on iPhone 4S running on iOS 5.0.1. All other network and OS versions are working perfectly. There is, at present, two possible fix for this bug :
Method 1 :
- Dial *228 on your iPhone (A Verizon programming number)
- Press “1” to “Program or Activate”
- Once the call disconnects, open task manager by clicking on your Home Button twice
- Close your Phone, Message and Contacts Apps
- After 5 minutes, open your Message App to verify fix
Method 2 :
Some users at the Apple Support Forums have reported that pressing option “2” after dialing *288 on your phone also fixes the bug.
If the issue still persists than there is no other option other than restoring a backup. However there is no need to worry about loosing all your Contacts as they are still intact. Only the device is unable to recognize the numbers associated with respective contacts.
- How To Setup And Use iMessage For iOS 5 iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch
- RedsnOw 0.9.9b6 Brings Windows Support For iOS 5 Jailbreak And Fixes Location Services Issue For iPhone 3GS 06.15 Baseband
- How To Send Tweets Using Apple Siri
- How to Solve AT&T iPhone 4S Activation Error
- How To Compose SMS And Emails From SpringBoard Shortcuts [Message Icons]