We had earlier reported about the SemiTether tweak being available in Cydia which allowed all iOS 5 users to boot into their device without having the need to connect to a PC. Although there were many limitations of SemiTether it is by far the best thing to have except a full Untethered Jailbreak. The team behind SemiTether have released an updated version which is even faster and with all bugs fixed. SemiTether version Version 0.7.9 is now available in Cydia in Bigboss Repo.
The iOS 5 was released to public on October 12th. As usual after any major release of the iOS, users all over the world are anxiously waiting for an Untethered jailbreak. While the Chronic Dev Team have mentioned that the Untethered Jailbreak is now covered and on the way to release, there is only tethered jailbreak available now.
- Device does not sync with itunes and only errors. Hopefully solved.
- Device reboots after 2-3 minutes.
- App sync issue – this is unworkable. Appsync hard patches system files and does not even use mobile substrate. I had to conflict with it. For now, semi-tether boot is impossible with appsync. You guys need to bug those guys to fix appsync to use mobile substrate (like everyone else uses).
While Saurik, the creator of Cydia is also working closely with the SemiTether team to make this thing the a good contender for a full Untethered Jailbreak. The tweak will be much faster and some bugs regarding iTunes and App Sync has also been fixed.
BigBoss also notes:
“Saurik is working on an update to mobile substrate that will solve many of the issues with the semi-tether package. Hopefully this will be out in a day or two. At this time, we can finalize beta testing. I plan to hold further updates until after Saurik has released his mobile substrate update. Saurik’s updates will eliminate the need for the long 90 second respring on boot also.
This update was only tested on iphone 4. After saurik’s mobile substrate changes, more devices will be tested. Next updates coming in next 2-3 days.”
SemiTether jailbreak allows you to reboot into your jailbroken iDevice without having the need to connect to computer having RedsnOw or SnOwbreeze.
For more information about SemiTether and how to install it click here . The Untethered Jailbreak is not yet released.
- Jailbreak Your iOS 5 Device Semi – Untethered [SemiTether]
- A Faster Jailbreak For iOS 5 With RedsnOw 0.9.9b7 For Mac And Windows
- Change The Look Of iOS 5 With WinterBoard [Jailbreak Tweak]
- How To Find Jailbreak Devs And Apps Easily [Cydia Developer Directory]
- AppSync For iOS 5 Now Available For Download In Cydia