The latest version of the popular Jailbreak Tool the RedsnOw 0.9.9B1 can be used to apply jailbreak to your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch running on the 4.3.5 or iOS 5 too.The latest version was announced by MuscleNerd in the popular mirco-blogging site Twitter. The overall process however remains almost same and it also increases the compatibility with iDevices.
The devices supported by RedsnOw 0.9.9B1 are :
- iPhone 4
iPod Touch 4G
iPod Touch 3G
The major update that RedsnOw 0.9.9B1 provides is that except for iOS 5 devices there is no need to download those 600mb+ bulky .IPSW file when you are applying Jailbreak. There are also popular Jailbreak services like Comex’s JailbreakMe and Chronic Dev Team’s GreenpoisOn which do not need the .IPSW file. RedsnOw with this significant update has become very user friendly and also easier to use.
RedsnOw 0.9.9B1 automatically detects and downloads the required files from the Apple servers and stores it in the cache to avoid any further re-download when required. You can apply both tethered and untethered jailbreak depending on the availability of the jailbreak for your version of the iOS.
Those however using the iOS 5 Beta versions will be disappointed as they need to download the .IPSW file and apply the Jailbreak the old way. Since the iOS 5 Beta versions are not open to public and are available for developers only this feature hasn’t yet been added to the latest RedsnOw.
Here is the full change log :
- uses DFU mode to try to automatically determine which device and FW you have
- fetches pieces of public IPSWs from Apple (once). Non-public IPSWs must be provided manually (once). It then caches those pieces for future use.
- “Just boot” is a tethered boot. Uses whatever “Preferences” you’ve set for boot logo and kernel boot-args
- “Pwned DFU” puts your device in a pwned DFU state for some of the iTunes stuff detailed below
- “Recovery fix” gets past 1015 types of errors (when baseband portion of restore fails). Should work on iOS5 beta too
- “Select IPSW” is for picking non-public IPSWs, or overriding auto-detection
- “SHSH blobs” has a bunch of options…
- “Fetch” – fetch current PARTIAL blobs on device. Should complete in under 10 or 15 seconds. Puts the set of PARTIAL of blobs on your computer as a plist. Checks if Cydia already has a full set for this device and build. If not, it submits this PARTIAL set and returns Cydia’s acknowledgement or rejection
- “Verify” – cryptographically verifies existing blob files from either redsn0w, TinyUmbrella, or Cydia server. You can select a whole bunch of blobs to verify at once if you want (like the TinyUmbrella directory)
- “Submit” – both verifies and submits one or more blob files to Cydia. This lets you copy your entire TinyUmbrella cache of blobs up to the Cydia server
- “Query” – queries the Cydia server for all available FULL or PARTIAL blobs for a given set of ECIDs
- “Stitch” – stitches either FULL or PARTIAL blobs to a STOCK or CUSTOM IPSW
- FULL blobs stitched to a STOCK IPSW gives you a completely self-contained signed IPSW that iTunes will accept without any tricks (no need to go into pwned DFU mode, no need to start TinyUmbrella TSS server, no need to redirect to Cydia server for blobs)
- PARTIAL blobs stitched to any IPSW requires you to go into pwned DFU mode before running iTunes. No need to start TU or use Cydia though.
- stitching either FULL or PARTIAL blobs to a CUSTOM IPSW also requires a pwned DFU start before iTunes restores. No need to start TU or use Cydia though.
- stitching is NOT yet supported on iPhones (well, at least not tested). Need to work out the baseband part of the restore process.
- will eventually support fetching the blobs directly from Cydia instead of a file on your computer
This RedsnOw tool will Jailbreak any device except the iPad 2. iPad 2 running on iOS 4.3.3 can be easily Jailbroken using JailbreakMe.
So to use this tool just follow these simple steps :
Step 2: Launch RedsnOw 0.9.9B1 and click on Jailbreak.
Step 3: Press the Next button and follow the on-screen instructions to enter the DFU mode in order to Install Cydia.
Step 4: If you are not using any iOS 5 Beta Firmwares than RedsnOw will detect all the necessary files and download it automatically to perform the Jailbreak.
Step 5: If you are running on any iOS 5 Beta Firmware than you will to provide the .IPSW file manually.
Thats it !! Once you complete the previous step you will successfully Jailbreak your device. Now if you wish you can also browse through the Extras Option and use many features like entering DFU mode, booting in tethered mode, fetching, verifying or using SHSH blobs, changing boot logos and more.
This latest version is very easy to apply Jailbreak. It saves your time, it downloads the files automatically, saves bandwidth and many more. The only thing it misses is an Untethered Jailbreak. However we expect it will be released soon and keep visiting to be the one of the first to know about it.
Update 1 : For those who wish to Jailbreak the final version of iOS 5 without the need for selecting the IPSW file refer our Tutorial here.
- How To Jailbreak iOS 5 Beta 6 Using RedsnOw For Your iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad & iPod Touch
- How To Jailbreak iOS 5 Beta 5 On iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod touch
- How To Jailbreak iOS 5 On iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch With Redsn0w 0.9.8 [Tutorial]
- How To Jailbreak iOS 5 Beta 7 On iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod touch, iPad Using Redsn0w 0.9.8b7
- How to Jailbreak iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone safely