Windows 8 developer preview was Released yesterday for download to enthusiasts and developers all over the world. Microsoft has ensured a high rate of participants by keeping no need for registration and no limit for download. It has worked really well has Microsoft delivered more than 500,000 downloads within 24 hours of the release. To download Windows 8 developer preview click here and to know more about features and functions of Windows 8 click here.
Although this release has nearly all the features which will be available in the Final Release which can be expected anytime at the end of 2012, it may still have bugs and errors which Microsoft needs to work on. Windows 8 also does not support update installation and relies on clean installation. Giving away your entire system to an OS which may still have bugs seems very ridiculous so and hence we suggest our readers to Install Windows 8 on the VirtualBox Virtual Machine and enjoy the latest Windows.
Note : Before we proceed we need to inform you that to install VirtualBox your processor must support Virtualization Technology. You can enable Virtualization Technology option from the BIOS.
- Windows 8 ISO File. If you haven’t downloaded it yet you can download it from here.
- VirtualBox. You can download the latest version of VirtualBox 4.1.2 from here. Download and Install it and while installing you will be prompted to allow certain Oracle permissions. Click on Allow and Install the tool.
Once you have both Windows 8 ISO file and VirtualBox you just need to create a virtual machine and Install Windows 8 on it. You can follow this simple tutorial to do so :
1. Create a Virtual Machine by clicking on New and launching the New Virtual Machine Wizard and click Next.
2. Type the Name of the Virtual Machine and select the OS of your computer. We named the Virtual Machine as Windows 8. We suggest to select Windows 7 even you are running on Windows 7 x64 as by selecting the later will make Virtual Machine crash.
3. Now in the next step you will have to allocate RAM memory to the Virtual Machine. If you are running WIndows 8 32-bit we suggest allocating atleast 1 GB and if you want to Install Windows 8 64 bit you need to allocate atleast 3 GB.
4.In the next step you will be asked to Create a new hard disk or Use existing hard disk. If you are running a clean version of VirtualBox you can select Create a new hard disk and click on Next. VirtualBox will also suggest the recommended size of the disk you want to create which you can change in settings.
5. In the next step select VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image).
6. In the next step you can select Fixed Size which makes the VirtualBox not to occupy more space than allotted.
7. In this step now you will have to specify the Hard Disk size. We recommend not to allocate less than 20 GB.
8. In this step you will be shown the Summary of the entire specification you have created. Once everything is as per you have mentioned click on Create to start creating the Virtual Machine.
VirtualBox will start creating a Virtual Machine. Once the Virtual Machine is created you can now click on Create and head to the main interface. Although the Virtual Machine is ready you will have to configure some settings.
9. Now in the main interface click on Settings and and select System from the left sidebar. In the preferences make sure that Enable IO APIC is enabled in the motherboard. You can also uncheck Enable absolute pointing device since it is not used that much.
10. Now head to the Processor Tab and check Enable PAE/NX option.
11. Now head to the Acceleration Tab and make sure that Enable VT-x/AMD-V and Enable Nested Paging both are enabled.
12. Now go to Storage from the Left Sidebar and in the Storage Tree select Empty under the IDE Controller.Now in the CD/DVD Drive option click on the image of CD and select Choose a virtual CD/DVD disk file. Now navigate to the Windows 8 ISO file which you have downloaded and select it.
13. Now go back to the main interface. Click Start to begin Installation of Windows 8. Follow the on-screen instructions and Install the OS.
After the Install is complete you can enjoy Windows 8 in the Virtual Machine. Now whenever you want to use Windows 8 just launch VirtualBox software and click on Windows 8 Virtual Machine.